Prov. 11:24-25; 22:9
There are many passages
in the Bible that promise a return for liberality in giving (Luke
6:38). But don't expect to get rich through giving.
I. Giving BRINGS BLESSINGS. God blesses obedience (Mal. 3:8-10). I don't give because the Lord needs my money. I give because I need the Lord's blessing.
A. Blessings of God's provision (Mal. 3:11; Phil. 4:15-19).
B. Blessings of joy (1 Chron. 29:9).
C. Blessing of satisfaction (2 Chron. 31:4-10).
II. Giving BREAKS BONDS.
A. Bondage of self.
1. Man is selfish by nature.
a. ILLUS: A baby, or toddler
b. The unsaved live as though God did not exist-- using all God's resources on himself, without any acknowledgement of gratitude.
2. Giving, goes against man's carnal nature. We are to deny self!
B. Bondage of covetousness.
1. Covetousness makes a person a slave to self.
2. Covetousness is broken when a man realizes everything he has is a sacred trust from God and is given as God leads (1 Tim. 6:6-18).
C. Bondage of ingratitude. Stingy people are unthankful people.
III. Giving BUILDS BELIEVERS.
A. Builds the believer's character.
1. Giving is evidence that a man can be trusted with other things.
2. Giving is evidence that a man is concerning with eternal things.
B. Builds the believer's career. A person seeks to be a better employee knowing he is a steward and desires to give more unto the Lord.
C. Builds the believer's church.
1. Buildings are built with money.
2. Pastor's are supported with money.
3. Missionaries are sent by money.
4. Ministries are funded with money.